In Restoration More than 1 Million Bricks in Original Size Have Been Used
The restoration works of IU Faculty of Political Sciences Building are continuing quickly. The students that reach the new building will get training in historical building and modern places.
IU Faculty of Political Sciences restoration works are being carried out in the direction of restoration project approved by Preservation Board. Some tests and analyses have been made within restoration since IU Faculty of Political Sciences is registered property. Restoration project has been planned according to requests and necessities.
In order to complete the restoration in the soonest time, 100 staffs are being worked as 2 shifts.
“The Students Continue their Education in 21 Classrooms”
In IU Faculty of Political Sciences building restoration, mezzanine floors that aren’t found in its original are being moved. As a consequence, the lecture halls in the ground floor will be restored as high ceiled proper to their original period. The walls of the building are being enhanced according to the project certified by Preservation Board. Cement based addition things, partition walls are being removed during the restoration. After restoration period, places that have got big fields in the historical structure will be gotten as proper to the original time. According to the project more luminous places will be prepared by opening window openings that have been closed before.
In the project in which the attic will bring into use, elevators will be added as different from the situation before the restoration and all handicapped students’ access to the classrooms will be provided with the help of these elevators.
The modern additions to the IU Faculty of Political Sciences’ new building will be equipped with heating, air conditioning, ventilating, security, speaker systems. The facade windows of the building have been restored as arched windows according to the original form. The works of reinforcement of stone walls are about to finish. After the removing of mezzanine floors, the height of the ground floor has reached its original size.
After the completion of its restoration, IU Faculty of Political Sciences will have a total of 11.500 m2 indoor use, 3.000 m2 of which are add-on. 21 classrooms -the biggest of which is 250 m2-, library, canteen, archive, seminar hall, the offices of administrative units and instructors are designed as part of the project.
“Over 1 Million Bricks were Used in their Original Dimensions”
Over 1 million bricks had been used in their original dimensions in the Restoration Project. Over 20.000 m2 cement-based plaster had been scraped and pargetted with its original mortar. After the disassembly, over 1200 trucks were used to remove the add-on material. With the help of a tower crane, approximately 1000 tons of steel floor elements, conveying systems and stairs were assembled into the building. Using steel material instead of reinforced concrete will contribute to the building’s long life as a cultural heritage.
“We Design our Buildings in Accordance with the Necessities of Time”
IU Rector Prof. Dr. Mahmut Ak visited IU Faculty of Political Sciences that is currently being restored.
Viewing the restoration works, Rector Prof. Dr. Mahmut Ak was informed about the restoration. Giving a speech about the Restoration Project, Prof. Dr. Mahmut Ak said, “We design our buildings in accordance with the needs of our students and the necessities of the time. The restorations will be completed in the estimated end time. Students will continue their education in historical and modern buildings. We design some other restoration projects for the buildings of our other faculties.”
Vice Rector Prof. Dr. Halil Yunus Ersöz, General Secretary Metin Küçük, Assistant to the Rector and Director of Press and Public Relations Prof. Dr. Ergün Yolcu accompanied Rector Prof. Dr. Mahmut Ak.
Translated by: İrem YAŞAR, Eda AYDEMİR
IU Department of Press and Public Relations